Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Adios Willie & the "dread-neck" jerk chicken.


This past Saturday night was Willies last night to play for the next 5 months. Willie and his family own a fishing lodge in Elfin Cove, AL (www.innerharborlodge.com) and Willie is a captain on one of the boats. Yes its the same lodge we went to this past August. I'll miss ol' Willie, he's a hell of a guy with hell of a family......but he'll be back in the fall (Lord willing) to sit back in. Jill's voice fell on some good ears here lately. There's been a couple of music row folks out to hear them sing. One of them lined her up a showcase @3rd & Lindsey here about 2 weeks ago.......I recon it went pretty well cause they are sending them (Bo included) to Texas to play two shows on the last weekend of this month. She is a stud........er should I say "studette". Biz was down last week a little, we only did about $7300.00 for the week. So we were off right at about $1000.00-$1500.00 for the week as a whole. The rain on Friday & Saturday was the big reason that probably made up for most of it but last Tuesday for some reason it was really slow. We only did $723.00 for that day! This on a day with mild temps & sunshine. I don't know what was up with that day!?!?! Weeks like this make me start thinking about being open more than 5 days a week......then I see that boy of mine & our new little girl and think different real fast! We're looking at a 50% chance of rain tomorrow but after that high 60's & clear for the week so I'm praying to the good Lord above that we'll pick back up this week. We're waiting for those warm temps to come back around before we put out Bo's jerk chicken recipe he got from a 80 year old Rastafarian down in the U.S. virgin islands a few years back. It is really, really good! I'm going to bbq the chicken on the pit but instead of the sauce we're going to jerk it. No I didn't mean for it to sound that way........but jerking my chicken does sound funny. Anyway, it will be called the "Dread-neck Jerk Chicken". We're also going to wait on the shrimp po-boys and the gazpacho until warmer weather. There are big changes coming to the blog in the next couple/few weeks so keep an eye out.

2 comments:

Basting Away said...

Pat,
Love the blog!! Just found it this past week, someone had posted a link to it on the Big Green Egg forum. Love BBQ but a “joint” probably isn’t in my future. I live in Covington, LA which is 35 miles north of New Orleans and we have 2 BBQ places now that are really struggling. A 3rd one just closed up and they had the best Que of them all! For some reason BBQ just isn’t the first choice of a lot of people down here. I love music, food and beer and you’ve got them all covered!! Way to go!! I have relatives in Chattanooga so hopefully on my next visit we will take a detour thru Nolensville and get some great BBQ and listen to some good music, I’ll even bring you a case of Hiner Brau beer. A new brewery that opened in Covington trying to compete with Abita Beer.
http://www.heinerbrau.com/dynamic.php?pg=Bar-Store
Good luck!
Steve

Pat Martin said...

thanks steve, i appreciate the comments very much and hope you can make it up sometime! -i'd like to pick your brain a little!
-patrick

What is this Blog???

You ever been sitting around cooking for your family and friends and been told the following: "Hoss, this is the best I've ever had in my dadgum life.....you have got to open up a place of your own". The thought crosses your mind to do just that, but for whatever reason you dont. Well I'm "that" guy that actually went through with it and did it. I had absolutely ZERO restaurant experience! I decided to start this blog about my own experience hoping that it may be of some use and help to others who might be interested in opening their own place.
I learned this craft almost 20 years ago cooking whole hogs on brick & cinder block pits at a couple of little BBQ Joints in Henderson, TN. I learned from old, lifelong career Pit-Masters, working with them as an apprentice during school off and on for four years. Over the course of that time I learned the old, time-honored craft of REAL pit barbecue. At Martin's Bar-B-Que Joint I am trying as hard as I can everyday to bring that time-honored authenticity to my customers.
As you read you'll see I've made some stupid decisions, and I've made some good decisions. If you are thinking of opening a restaurant, especially a BBQ Joint, read this blog! Maybe some of this info can be of use to you. At the very least you will be entertained because I pull no punches.
Now listen, this is my blog to not only help with information but my blog to freely rant about my day to day experiences. There is no real "bad language" on this blog but there might be some things said that are very "tongue in cheek". If you are easily offended and/or cant see the satire in my posts then please just leave the blog. It will save both of us the annoyance of each other. For those of you who do like satire and are looking for good information about this experience, then by all means enjoy!