Thursday, April 05, 2007

Trucking along.

Things are still going very well. Catering has picked up big time over the past couple/few weeks, specifically on music row. The Joint has been doing really well. Jackie has been working the register on Tues. & Wed. nights which has enabled me to go home and be with Martha to help with Daisy and Wyatt.........more so Wyatt. Entertaining him frees Martha up with Daisy, who like Wyatt has colic!
We're slowly bringing on our spring/summer specials. We had oysters brought in for oyster po-boys and sold out of those in less than a week. This coming week I've got shrimp coming in for the remainder of the spring/summer for shrimp po-boys. Bo & I are making a gazpacho on Monday (when its supposed to get warm again). I'm curious to see how that goes over. This past Saturday I offered the most expensive BBQ sandwich in the world. I should have taken a picture of it but forgot to. I plan on having it this Saturday so I'll try to take one then to post on the blog. Anyway, I brought in some fois gras and cold smoked it in the pit. When it was finished we sliced it, pan seared it and put it on top of pulled pork drizzled with white truffle oil and about 4-5 big drops of traditional balsamic vinegar (which is about $60.00 per ounce!). We sold that sandwich with fries and a Miller High Life (what else but the "champagne" of beers?) beer for $99.00 - AND ACTUALLY SOLD A COUPLE OF THEM! To describe the sandwich all you can say is "decadence"! It was very, very good.......very hard to describe unless you taste it. You really should come out and pay me $99.00 for this meal, its worth it! If after you eat it and you dont think its worth it then just come up to the counter and let me know. Now, I wont give you your money back, but I will listen to your frustration which by releasing those emotions will make you feel better about your decision.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i'm betting if you uploaded a pic or two, you might have someone forward said pics and story to slashfood. *hint hint*

What is this Blog???

You ever been sitting around cooking for your family and friends and been told the following: "Hoss, this is the best I've ever had in my dadgum life.....you have got to open up a place of your own". The thought crosses your mind to do just that, but for whatever reason you dont. Well I'm "that" guy that actually went through with it and did it. I had absolutely ZERO restaurant experience! I decided to start this blog about my own experience hoping that it may be of some use and help to others who might be interested in opening their own place.
I learned this craft almost 20 years ago cooking whole hogs on brick & cinder block pits at a couple of little BBQ Joints in Henderson, TN. I learned from old, lifelong career Pit-Masters, working with them as an apprentice during school off and on for four years. Over the course of that time I learned the old, time-honored craft of REAL pit barbecue. At Martin's Bar-B-Que Joint I am trying as hard as I can everyday to bring that time-honored authenticity to my customers.
As you read you'll see I've made some stupid decisions, and I've made some good decisions. If you are thinking of opening a restaurant, especially a BBQ Joint, read this blog! Maybe some of this info can be of use to you. At the very least you will be entertained because I pull no punches.
Now listen, this is my blog to not only help with information but my blog to freely rant about my day to day experiences. There is no real "bad language" on this blog but there might be some things said that are very "tongue in cheek". If you are easily offended and/or cant see the satire in my posts then please just leave the blog. It will save both of us the annoyance of each other. For those of you who do like satire and are looking for good information about this experience, then by all means enjoy!