Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Not quite approved, but not exactly denied either!

Well the board wanted to approve me but I started to get the feeling they couldnt.....let me explain. The has grown so fast that the "new" codes manual does not specify for the board the difference between a variance for property and a variance for use. They could not approve my request under the variance for property because that would set a precedent and future headaches for them down the road, because that would open it up for everyone to ask and receive what I was requesting (which was to extend the roof to the property line, where there is already an existing privacy fence). I figured since there is already an existing structure there and I'm only requesting the extension of the tin roof 4 additional feet. Well then the city lawyer told the board that they could give me permission to seek a variance of use, which basically gives me special permission because I'm trying to better the community (I'm bettering the community by keeping the flys and birds out from around the pit.....make it more sanitary). They basically hinted to me that they would like to approve it but couldnt until the "verbage" differintiating between property and use was in the manual. If they denied me I could not submit an application for the same request again for 365 days. If I withdrew my request I could re-request it any time.......so I quickly withdrew the request and told them I would re-submit it in a month or two. So I'll just have the finest fence builder on the planet, Ellis Bryan or Bryan Fences fame, come build me a privacy fence.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Pat,

A mutual friend told me about your blog. Looking forward to the grand opening. Best of luck.

Jon Jackson

Anonymous said...

Hey Pat!
Love the blog dude!
The "Joint" is gonna be a great place for NoMansVille I mean Nolensville.
They need this real bad.

Keep up the good work and you'll have a ton of support down there.

Check out www.historicnolensville.com

Pat Martin said...

jon jackson.....is this the john holland jon jackson? if it is tell ol' john & cami i love em'! and make sure all of y'all come to the party!

What is this Blog???

You ever been sitting around cooking for your family and friends and been told the following: "Hoss, this is the best I've ever had in my dadgum life.....you have got to open up a place of your own". The thought crosses your mind to do just that, but for whatever reason you dont. Well I'm "that" guy that actually went through with it and did it. I had absolutely ZERO restaurant experience! I decided to start this blog about my own experience hoping that it may be of some use and help to others who might be interested in opening their own place.
I learned this craft almost 20 years ago cooking whole hogs on brick & cinder block pits at a couple of little BBQ Joints in Henderson, TN. I learned from old, lifelong career Pit-Masters, working with them as an apprentice during school off and on for four years. Over the course of that time I learned the old, time-honored craft of REAL pit barbecue. At Martin's Bar-B-Que Joint I am trying as hard as I can everyday to bring that time-honored authenticity to my customers.
As you read you'll see I've made some stupid decisions, and I've made some good decisions. If you are thinking of opening a restaurant, especially a BBQ Joint, read this blog! Maybe some of this info can be of use to you. At the very least you will be entertained because I pull no punches.
Now listen, this is my blog to not only help with information but my blog to freely rant about my day to day experiences. There is no real "bad language" on this blog but there might be some things said that are very "tongue in cheek". If you are easily offended and/or cant see the satire in my posts then please just leave the blog. It will save both of us the annoyance of each other. For those of you who do like satire and are looking for good information about this experience, then by all means enjoy!